Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Thread sorter

After lots of thinking and seeing a similar solution by Heidi at Red Letter Quilts, I finally have a thread sorter that I like.


I had several requirements...
1) I could put cones of thread anywhere as I wanted to keep like colors together
2) It was realativly cheap
3) I could hang it on the wall
4) I could store my bobbins with it


I went to Lowes and got one of the shelves that are white.  Then I had a nice background for the thread and didn't need to do anything to make it look nice.  I also found the longest (3.5") and skinniest nails that I could.  This way I could put my bobbins under the thread on the nails.


I separated the nails by 3" and attempted to put them at a 70ยบ angle.  Who knew that protractor that I've been carrying around with me since high school would ever come in handy again?  I'll admit, some of the nails are a little off, but I think it still looks fine.   (Sorry about the lighting...it's in a poorly lit corner.  I know that defeats the purpose a little bit, but in real life I can still see the beautiful colors pretty well.)

I still have several nails...I think that means I need more thread. :)

4 comments:

  1. Very creative! In no time you'll need another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I still need to get mine made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you need to market the idea so that the rest of us can buy one ready made. :-) I've seen ones iwth room fo r bobbins, but the new thing is that cones fit too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! I was thrilled to read that my post helped inspire your final plan. It turned out great and the colors really POP

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!