Monday, January 30, 2017

Baby scrap quilt

I finished this quilt before the end of January, as was my goal, and before the baby came.  In fact, it was finished about two weeks prior to both!

It is made with scraps of the spinwheel quilt.  There are four color categories: yellow, grey, dark purple, and light purple.  It is obvious that the yellow was going to stand out the most, so I planned the placement of those triangles.  I also planned the light and dark triangles around the diamond in the lower left corner.  It is a rather more subtle, but it's still there.

I backed it with minky, because that's my favorite.  For most of the quilting I did loops.  I was looking for a motif that would be done rather quickly and it matched that of the original quilt.  (Although I highly doubt the two quilts will ever meet.)

To make the quilting a bit more interesting I did a 8-pointed flower in the yellow diamonds with yellow thread.  (I've been seeing this flower all over.  It might have originally come from Angela Walters, if I recall correctly.)  I also did some back and forths in purple thread in the light purple squares that surround every diamond.

I tried having my five year old be a quilt holder.  It was a little bit too big and too heavy for him, but he's almost there.

Linking up to Finish it up Friday.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Quilt Holder! (And beautiful quilt!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!