Friday, September 22, 2017

Finished: In the Woods

I finished this quilt, which has gone through many different names.  I finally settled on "In the Woods"

The fabric was a Christmas present - a Woodlands FQ bundle.  I love how HSTs work together in a quilt, so decided to go that route.  (I always question myself about half way through trimming them up though.) The placement of most of the colors is not random, but figured out in advance.  That being said, I ran out of a few colors in the middle of making the HSTs and needed to substitute some other colors.  (See how there is more of the bright orange in the bottom center?)

I took my kids to a natural playground in the area and it was a lovely spot for getting pictures.  I did one other quilt that you'll see soon, but I expect I'll be back for more pictures.

If you couldn't tell, the green section represents a tree that is just starting to change color.  The brown section is the ground, which has had many leaves come down over the course of the years.  The bright yellow and orange triangles are the leaves that have turned color and are starting to fall down.

Although there are no pictures, it is backed in an orange minky and bound in an orange sateen.

There are three distinct quilting sections. The tree, which is clam shells - art deco (by Esther at I Patch and Quilt)

The air, which has loops.  Kind of like falling leaves, but there are a lot more loops than leaves.

And the ground, which has leaves.  The fallen leaves from years past.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts.

2 comments:

  1. I love everything about your quilt, the half square triangles, the colors, the quilting. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great impactful design! I never thought it might be random. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!